The GAPS Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The GAPS Forum

A support setting for GAPSters, their families, and people curious about the GAPS protocol.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Slow-Cooked Chicken Dissapointment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Summer
Admin
Summer

Slow-Cooked Chicken Dissapointment Empty
PostSlow-Cooked Chicken Dissapointment

The soup didn't turn out so well... To start, at the beginning of the soup, I forgot to add onion to the slow-cooker. Somewhere in the middle, I also realized that I probably only should have cooked half the chicken, as I have a very small crockpot. So I ended up with a really fatty broth (fine), and a soup that was CHOCK full of veggies. It kept leaking soup because it was so terribly overfilled. Also, I was fasting, so I didn't really want to taste the salt in the soup until I actually was eating, and it wasn't salty enough. To finish, I forgot to add the garlic at the end. What I ended up doing was taking a bowl of the soup, adding salt and garlic powder, and blending it. The soup ended up being really powdery from the chicken, but palatable. If I were to try blending the soup again, I would blend it, add the chicken, and slow-cook for another hour. I would probably also add parsley. For those who are interested, here is the original recipe.

1 whole chicken
chicken parts (liver, feet) (optional)
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large head of cabbage, chopped
1 bunch of kale, chopped
2 bunches of chard, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, divided and chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Put chicken in slow-cooker with half of an onion, and cover with cold water. Set on high for six hours.
2. Drain chicken from broth and allow to cool. Separate chicken from bones. Refrigerate chicken.
3. Add bones back to broth and fill with water as needed. Cook for an additional five hours, preferably overnight.
4. Strain broth from bones. Add all other ingredients except garlic. Cook for at least 40 minutes (I'd go for maybe two-three hours if you
want soft carrots. Mine were still hard at 1.5 hours, but then the soup couldn't boil after I added all the veggies.)
5. Add garlic for the last ten minutes of cooking.
Back to top Go down
https://gapsforum.forumotion.com
Share this post on: reddit

Slow-Cooked Chicken Dissapointment :: Comments

No Comment.

Slow-Cooked Chicken Dissapointment

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The GAPS Forum :: Blog Space-
Jump to: